Since it is now *officially* fall in the Northern Hemisphere, I’ve got a quick tip video for making different leaf shapes this week! By using the vertical symmetry feature and pairing it with some simple template shapes, it’s kind of amazing how fast complex leaf shapes can come together.
Pin it for later!
Draw 5 Leaf Shapes in 60 Seconds
Used in this video:
- Brushes: Mono Marker for the line art and Chunky Marker for the color blocking from my Font Lovers set
- Color Palette (free)
Here’s a written overview of how to draw 5 leaf shapes in 60 seconds:
- Create your canvas and start by adding vertical symmetry to your canvas. Make the first leaf (ash) on the first layer using the mono marker brush from the Font Lovers set at 10% size.
- Create a new layer, tap the layer thumbnail and tap drawing assist to keep the symmetry settings on this layer. Draw the next leaf (willow).
- Again, create a new layer, tap the layer thumbnail, and turn on drawing assist to keep the symmetry settings on this layer. Draw the template for the elm leaf and reduce the layer’s opacity.
- Create another new layer, tap the layer thumbnail, drawing assist to keep the symmetry settings on this layer. Draw the elm leaf on top of the template. Then, turn off the template layer so you just see the final elm leaf. Group the template and the final elm leaf together.
- Next, repeat this process with the oak and maple leaf layers to create a new layer and drawing the leaf over the template.
- Finally, create a new layer with no symmetry settings on and drag it under all the other layers. Paint in the color blocks using the chunky marker brush from the Font Lovers brush set.
Receive special offers on courses + products, a new design file every month plus instant access to the Resource Library!
Pick up over 50 design + lettering files as our gift to you when you join the Tuesday Tribe for free!
Please check your email to confirm.