Ok you guys, just *one* more pattern tutorial 😂This was too fun and too easy to resist sharing. The last couple of pattern tutorials were definitely on the more advanced side, but this one is perfect for intermediate/ambitious beginners!
We’ll start by making our lettering brush and I’ll show you an easy way to preview/adjust the pattern before adding it to the brush. I share all of my brush settings and then we start playing with it! You’ll see how to apply it to shapes for quick wreaths and then we’ll fill out our summery lettering with florals and foliage accents, finished off with some paint splatter and a watercolor paper texture.
Pin it for later!
Make a Pattern Lettering Brush in Procreate
Mentioned in this video:
- Messy Watercolor Brush Set (or any favorite brushes)
- Color Palette (free)
Here’s a written overview of how to make a pattern lettering brush in Procreate:
- Create the pattern lettering brush first by starting with a black background on the first layer. Create a new layer, grab white and the brush that you want. Fill up as much of the canvas as you can with whatever design you want for your brush.
- Group the layers together, duplicate the layers and then flatten the top group. Make a copy of the flattened layer.
- Create a new category in the brush library and then hit the plus sign for a default brush. For specific brush settings, follow the steps given in the video.
- Start creating some artwork with your new brush. Set your background color and create a new layer. Grab the darkest green color and write out whatever phrase you would like.
- Add in some decorations to make it look like the letters are blooming with various colored florals and foliage.
- Add in a paper watercolor texture by tapping true black, grab a watercolor paper texture and paint over the whole canvas. Change the blend mode to multiply.
Receive special offers on courses + products, a new design file every month plus instant access to the Resource Library!
Pick up over 50 design + lettering files as our gift to you when you join the Tuesday Tribe for free!
Please check your email to confirm.