It’s time for our final tutorial (no.6) in this year’s holiday series! But don’t worry – I still have a New Year’s design up my sleeve for next week 😉 Today, we’re creating holiday lights, surrounding them with evergreen elements and then making our bulbs and lettering glow! I’m labeling this an intermediate tutorial, but there are a few advanced skills thrown in, too, if you’re up for an extra challenge.
Pin it for later!
Paint Glowing holiday Lights in Procreate
Mentioned in this video:
- Any brush you’d like! I only used one for this project: my Inky Edge Pro brush from my Beautiful Lettering brush set.
- Color Palette (free)
Here’s a written overview of how to paint glowing holiday lights in Procreate:
- Create your canvas by setting the background color. Next, begin working on your holiday lights. Start by adding in your lettering with the inky edge pro brush at a 10% size. Write in merry and bright with space between for the bulbs.
- Paint in the lightbulbs behind all the letters and keep them all on one layer. You can alternate colors as you want. Draw the bulbs like a triangle with rounded colors. To add a little more character, change up the size of the bulbs as you go.
- Add in the hooks to the tops of the bulbs.
- Create a new layer and draw a line through the loops, write the word and, and then loop it through the bottom loops. Apply a layer mask to conceal the string on top of the loops by choosing true black.
- Paint in some evergreen elements by drawing some branches around the canvas and draw in the needles. Create a new layer to paint in some pine needles.
- Draw in some loose sketchy style leaves in the background varying the size and amount of the leaves.
- To make everything glow, duplicate the light layer, select the bottom one and apply a gaussian blur and drag it up to 10%. Duplicate this layer and for the top one, change the blend mode to overlay. For the bottom layer, choose screen.
- Now for the lettering, duplicate the lettering layer. Select the bottom one and apply a gaussian blur and change the blend mode to screen.
Receive special offers on courses + products, a new design file every month plus instant access to the Resource Library!
Pick up over 50 design + lettering files as our gift to you when you join the Tuesday Tribe for free!
Please check your email to confirm.