With Halloween closing in on us this coming weekend, I couldn’t let it pass without something to celebrate! This week, we’re creating some multi-colored glowing outline lettering, adding some spider webs and even including our little friend dangling off of one of the letters. We take it even further by adding in a simple animation to the spider, too! And we’re only using one brush for all of it!
Pin it for later!
Spooky Spider Lettering Animation in Procreate
Mentioned in this video:
- Any brush you’d like! I used the Bumpy Ink brush from my Font Lovers set
- Color Palette (free)
Here’s a written overview of how to make spooky spider lettering animation in Procreate:
- Write out the lettering using the darkest blue color with the bumpy ink brush. Move the lettering into the center of the canvas.
- Tap on the layer thumbnail, choose select, choose the darkest orange color and tap on the layer thumbnail and choose fill layer. Drag that layer underneath the first layer. Apply a gaussian blur and drag it up to 4%. Again, tap on the layer thumbnail, choose select, choose the darkest orange color and tap on the layer thumbnail and choose fill layer.
- Apply your dark background color. Add more glow to the orange layer if you want to make it look more intense. Apply a slight gaussian blur to your glow layer.
- Start adding in details by drawing in the spider webs. Create a new layer and draw in the spider.
- To animate the spider, merge all of the layers together except for the spider layer. Group together the merged layers and the spider layer.
- Turn on animation assist and change your settings to 8 frames per second and change the onion skin opacity to 30%.
- Duplicate the merged group, select the spider layer and move it down a little bit. Repeat those steps again, duplicate the merged group, select the spider layer and move it down a little bit. Continue until you’re happy with the length.
- If you choose to post this on Instagram, make sure you keep it at least 3 seconds long. Export it as an animated mp4 and then you can upload it to Instagram!
Receive special offers on courses + products, a new design file every month plus instant access to the Resource Library!
Pick up over 50 design + lettering files as our gift to you when you join the Tuesday Tribe for free!
Please check your email to confirm.